John Smith, is the fleet operations manager of a logistics company with a fleet of 75 trucks. All his drivers are required to fill their time logs while they reach each delivery point to ensure transparency in the process, which they do after the completion of each trip. His company kept all these records to forecast time & fleet costs for future trips.
But with the logs, he found out a large variance in time taken by many drivers to reach scheduled delivery points and the worst case being, he was unable to calculate the exact time required to reach there. And he couldn’t identify the reasons for such lags. Some drivers pointed fingers at traffic as the #1 reason, whereas some others said, it took them long time to reach delivery points even while on regular routes. Is there any discrepancy involved? Well, fleet costs are going up.
John put himself on the driver’s seat to sort the issues and assigned drivers to go through the same route. He then realized that one of his drivers took only 30 minutes to reach the delivery point, and another one 55 minutes; one driver even took over 1 hour to reach the same point.
John decided to drive all by himself and find out how much time it will normally take and the result came as a shocker to himself, he reached in less than 25 minutes. Surprisingly the route assigned to drivers was not a busy route at all. Totally puzzled now, he began thinking of the possible reasons…
- Lazy drivers taking excessive breaks.
- Not going through the route they are supposed to travel through.
- Stuffing personal tasks in between work schedules & using company vehicles to fulfill their needs.
- Some drivers taking it real slow, so they can reduce their work efforts, visiting 7 delivery points instead of 12 as per schedule.
or could be something else that needs to be identified.
Now, whatever the reason maybe, the fact is John still gets frequent calls from clients asking the whereabouts of vehicles and his logbook is full of complaints from clients, about inconsistent delivery schedule and delays, and from his drivers that, “there were no one at the client site to help him unload goods”.
So with whom does the real issue lie now? Well, if it’s at the driver’s end, John has to make sure that this will not happen in the future. Because John knows well, with unhappy customers no company can survive in today’s highly competitive market.
Are You John?
Do all these sounds familiar to you? Are you John? If you are not, one thing is sure, that you have seen many Johns who suffer from similar challenges in fleet operation.
All John needs to do is to choose the service from a fleet automation system with real time tracking that could show you live tracking on map along with route trail, directional arrows & stop notifications. This will let him track vehicles/assets/personnel in real time, 24/7.
No longer does John has to blindly trust manual logs, know where all do they go & how long they stop; no more excessive breaks or time wastage, minimum effort- maximum productivity, benefits & returns.
How could it help you if you were John?
- Doesn’t matter where you are, you can still be in full control of your vehicles/drivers. Reduce unauthorized usage, save fuel & cut down fleet costs.
- With frequent updates, you can get an accurate sense of vehicle’s location and forecast ETA (expected time of arrival) at its destination.
- You could provide immediate answer on client enquiries regarding the status of their parcel/package/shipments.
- Identify route inefficiencies, eliminate unnecessary idle times and reduce accident risks by monitoring unsafe driving methods & habits, can complete more appointments/deliveries in time.
- No more sleepless nights thinking “Will vehicle reach its destination on the time I committed”, you know where exactly they are & how fastly moving they are.
- In emergency/urgent situations, you can find the nearest vehicles to the incident spot and assign them to commit the task as soon as possible.
- Competitive advantage, your customers can enjoy a faster, reliable, efficient and satisfactory service and you can enjoy lifelong repeat business with successful long-term relations.
- No more false work claims, you can see if the vehicles have been to assigned spots/locations, works as a proof of service.